Monday, December 7, 2009

"Let's move to Nice World"

It's pretty amazing the shining moments we stumble on out of the blue.

Yesterday was a rough day. And that's an understatement. The kids were fighting with each other and with me, they were taking turns having spoiled brat moments which is particularly hard to take as I try to create a warm, happy, meaningful Christmas Spirit in our family home. Needless to say I was both discouraged and at my wits end when we sat down to dinner.

Out of the blue, my five year old son looks at me and says "Mommy, I wish we could move to Nice World." I looked at him and asked him what he meant. He answered "Nice World - the place where everyone is nice to each other and loves each other." (Heart strings were starting to tug right about now...) I said, "That sounds like a really good idea, but even better would be to turn our world into Nice World." Then my nine year old pipes up "Well, what would we do about all the wars and rebellions (StarWars speak) going on in the world?"

And the moment just fell in my lap. I explained how there wasn't much we could do about the big wide world, but it was our job to make our little corner of the world the best it can be, starting with our family. One by one the kids piped up ways to make our little world better - not fighting, sharing, helping, recycling, giving stuff to poor people, giving hugs - it was this sparkling little family moment where the kids (and I) got the message of peace and love that is Christmas. And we were unanimous in our decision to try to make our home a little piece of "Nice World".

Now, I'm not saying the kids have been perfect angels since, but the day certainly ended alot better than it started yesterday. And I am left with renewed energy and optimism that I can and will raise these kids to be thoughtful people and caring citizens -and that the message of Christmas remains meaningful and true.

1 comment: