It was time to decorate the Christmas tree and set out the family nativity set. I was hurrying through the house - from the basement where the ornament boxes were stored to the upstairs linen closet to grab a nice Christmas cloth for the little table I wanted to put the Nativity on.
And suddenly; most unexpectedly, time seemed to stop and my mother was with me. As I was digging through the linen closet I came across a little square Christmas tablecloth that had not been used in the 8 years since my mother died. It was folded neatly; every crease ironed. It had that feel to it that only linens my mother washed and ironed could. As I unfolded the table cloth I felt like I was touching part of her, since her hands were the last hands to iron this little piece of cloth and fold it neatly, preparing it for the next Christmas that never came for her.
It was an incredibly special moment; to feel my mother's long gone physical presence so close again. And though this cloth will never have that closeness again - since once I wash it and iron it and tuck it away for next Christmas, it won't be the same- something special will remain with me. Amidst all the old and treasured memories I have of her from years long past, I have been given an unexpected and lovely Christmas gift - my Mother has just given me a new memory; a gift that I will treasure every year as that little table cloth comes out in its place of honour on the Nativity table.

What a special moment for you! Happy Holidays and a very merry Christmas!!!
ReplyDeleteI love this! What a wonderful memory! Merry Christmas!
ReplyDelete