Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Leaving on a Jet Plane....


I'm leaving soon for a big trip. It's big in many ways. I'm flying to Germany. I'm travelling with my Dad and siblings, something I haven't done since I was 16 years old. And I'm leaving my husband and kids behind.

I'm looking forward to the adventure. My dad is going to tour us around and show us the town where my mother was born, where he was born, where they lived during the war; basically a family history trip.

My anxiety is building about leaving my family behind though. My husband is fantastic and will do a great job taking care of everything while I'm gone. In many ways he'd make a better stay home parent than me - he's excellent at getting the kids involved in the mundane daily chores and making it fun. And I've left my kids before, so its not the first time I'll be apart from them or anything. But this is the first time I'm leaving BOTH my husband and kids for longer than a weekend AND going so far away.

I think it'll be good for all of us. My husband, who already appreciates me, will have an even better understanding of my life, my kids will have a great time with their dad and will miss me just a bit I'm sure, and I will have the chance to do something completely out of my ordinary routine. Of course I'm leaving one family and joining another so its not like a real solo trip, but I think it'll be a great experience.

One thing though... though I love them to death and wouldn't trade them for anything, the family I was born into is a little bit more complicated than the family I created... so wish me luck that everyone gets along and plays nice while we tour around the country together. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment